May 19, 2020
Below is information regarding the programs and services Burnaby Community Services, and our sister agencies, Burnaby Meals on Wheels, and Burnaby Seniors Outreach are currently providing:
- Our Seniors Transportation program continues to provide rides to essential doctor's appointments for registered clients only.
- Burnaby Meals on Wheels is delivering regularly scheduled hot, frozen, and bagged meals. We have brought in more volunteers and are pleased to be able to welcome new clients. We continue to take necessary precautions to keep both our clients and volunteers safe. Visit www.burnabymeals.ca or give Kim a call at (604) 299-5754 to register as a client or apply to volunteer.
- Income Tax Clinics will no longer be held by us this year. For information about upcoming clinics, contact Jesse at (604) 292-3911 or by email at Jesse@bbyservices.ca.
Note that the income tax filing deadline for individual income has been extended to June 1st, 2020. Seniors are encouraged to submit their 2019 income information as soon as possible, and no later than October 1st, 2020. For more details about the latest CRA announcement, click here.
- The Burnaby Recreation Credits program is suspended until further notice by the City of Burnaby. We are accepting applications by mail, however the city is not able to perform the final processing at this time.
- Burnaby Seniors Outreach is welcoming participation in their Connection Club held on Thursdays. All in person programs, workshops, and support groups are currently on hold however we are going virtual now! To learn more about the programs we are offering, and how to participate, visit www.bsoss.org, email email@example.com, or phone us and leave a message at (604) 291-2258.
- Poverty Law Advocacy is ongoing, with priority being given to emergencies. Face to face meetings have been suspended and email is the preferred method of communication at this time.
Due to COVID-19, our Brentwood Community Resource Centre remains closed at this time and we continue to suspend on-site programs. We are continuing to provide critical services to those in need even though most of our staff are working remotely.
We encourage everyone to stay abreast of the evolving situation via these websites:
- Burnaby Corona Virus - available in 5 languages (https://www.burnabycoronavirus.com/)
- BC211 - has information for seniors and the latest news (http://www.bc211.ca/)
- City of Burnaby (https://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/Public-Safety/Novel-Coronavirus--COVID-19-.html)
- Fraser Health Authority (https://www.fraserhealth.ca/)
- BC Centre for Disease Control (http://www.bccdc.ca/)
- The Public Health Agency of Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html)
We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and will provide updates on our website and social media channels as new information becomes available.
We look forward to re-opening our doors and continuing to serve the community in our regular capacity.
Thank you for your patience and support as we navigate this challenging time together.